Friday, October 13, 2006

Scotland Trip Report

I got back a couple of weeks ago from my first trip to the UK. It was great to see Graz in Scotland. Congratulations Graz on the new job.

Let's start with my first 1.5 day layover in London.

I arrived at Heathrow in the morning after a red-eye flight. After some thorough pre-trip research and advice analysis, I decided to check into my hotel (George Hotel in Bloomsbury) and then walk and ride the Tube around to a few choice destinations.

I saw: Bloomsbury, British Museum, Reading Room in the British Museum, Oxford Street shops (rode the double-decker bus too), Selfridges, return to hotel for jet lag induced nap and take-out dinner from corner store, down to the Thames in the evening (past Covent Garden) cross pedestrian bridge - forget name -, glass of wine at an outdoor cafe, watched and participated in a free public interactive symphonic pre-recorded playback with weird lights, Picadilly Circus, return to hotel for long night sleep.

I loved the subway. It was hot and small, and rather anxiety-producing on the couple of occasions when it stopped in between stations. But I loved the old stations and the history and marvelled at how deep underground some of the stations lay. After returning I found this neat blog about the London Underground.

Next day I walked to St. Paul's Cathedral, crossed the Millenium Bridge, then toured the Tate Modern Gallery.

The Tate Modern was full of people, many of them youngsters with sketchbooks. That was inspiring. After taking this picture, unfortunately I was informed that photos are not allowed. Too bad. There was a really neat work by an artist whose name I did not record, a collection of small circles of bristol board hung from about 600 long threads from the ceiling, the paper pieces hanging in mid air like a cloud.

Then I rushed off to Stansted airport for my trip to Glasgow. I arrived at Stansted very late, having been mesmerized by the cloud and other works in the gallery, and not realizing how long it would take to get there.

Security check-person: I'll have to scan your mp3 player [closely and slowly examining all items in my small carry on bag].
Sonja: Yes, sure [fidgeting slightly].

Security check-person: [Using keen powers of observation] Are you late for a flight?

Sonja: Well, yes, actually, very.

Security check-person: [mp3 player passes test] Okay, you can go.

Yay!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where are the cute sheep and hairy cows?

S said...

Ahh, maybe I'll post them very soon!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.