Monday, April 07, 2008

Hockey weekend

As it turns out, I had the fortune to attend two hockey games this weekend.

The first was the last regular season game of the Senators, on Friday, against the Boston Bruins. My second Sens game ever. Our seats were great. My goal of the evening was to be watching the puck when any goals were scored. I pretty much succeeded, in that my eyes were directed in the general vicinity of the puck when the three goals hit the net (2:1 for Boston in case you don't follow this sort of thing). They were not on my pizza slice, not on the drunken Sens fans in the first row dressed like gladiators, not even on my companions' smiling faces. I also saw an amazing rebound shot off the post that almost went in but for the centimeter it was off. During the intervals between plays I was able to turn my attention to my father and his friends who hosted us for this entertaining evening. A. and his wife D. are true hockey fans, originally from Montreal, who had seen all the great Habs players like Rocket Richard back in the day. D. was particularly dissappointed that the Sens just were not able to get themselves organized to win the game Friday. For my part, I had fun watching the puck.

Saturday, Greg and I watched his nephew G. play the final game of his season at a local arena. All the ten year old boys and girls were skating on their ankles up and down the ice, trying hard. The families all cheered even louder, it seemed, than the Sens fans had done the day before. G. helped his team win the game and become champions. But, all the kids were winners, right?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, another hockey season is here

So I am writing to you for just one reason

Please don't scream, curse or yell

Remember I am not in the NHL

I am only 11 years old

I can't be bought, traded or sold

I'm not looking for Hockey Fame

I just want to have fun and play the game

Please don't make me feel as if I committed a sin

Because sometimes my team didn't win

I don't want to be that great you see

I'd rather play and just be me

And so, in closing, here is one tip

Remember, the name of the game is . . .

Sportsmanship