Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Summer Edition


There has been a lot going on this summer.

For starters, we had a funeral for my grandfather, who passed away last fall. That involved a trip to Goderich, early in June. I had the honour of doing some organizing, so I was busy beforehand. Family members who are dispersed far and wide got together for a rare meeting, and a touching tribute to my Grandfather's memory and his influence on us. Dad and I enjoyed going through some old family photos to make an album. Above is one photo we found that didn't make it into the album, but it is a great photo because Grandpa loved music.

I also volunteered to be the team contact/organizer of my soccer team's summer season. That involved, oh, a few emails.

Also, I have been helping Greg build his fence, helping Mom do a little work on her deck, and now I'm pursuing the old family photo project further with Dad - by going through the whole collection looking for good ones to share with people, and especially to share with my great Aunt Eleanor who is having a big birthday soon. She is the second woman from the left below, a scene possibly from the 1950s.

So, summer is going swimmingly. Unlike one of my work colleagues who has had a remarkable music festival attendance rate so far, I have not been to any music festivals or even any outdoor events involving sound. However, Greg and I went out of town several times and saw birds, visited friends' cottages and newly purchased empty farm properties (okay one farm property). I've gotten about on my bicycle, played soccer weekly, and shared in celebrating K and D's beautiful wedding. One can not ask for more than this.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Grandpa's Pocket
Author Unknown


Now some kids have a grandpa.
Some have quite a few.
But mine´s the bestest grandpa
That anyone ever knew.

He´s not just ordinary
He´s got a special call.
He sounds like Woody Woodpecker,
I can hear him clear down the hall.

And boy, do I come runnin´,
‘Cause he´s got more you see.
He´s got a special pocket
With things in it just for me.

And if I cuddle up
And give a great big kiss,
All kinds of little surprises come out,
I wouldn´t want to miss.

He used to give us gum,
But mom said, “Not any more.”
I guess she kept a findin´ it,
Smashed into the family room floor.

But heck, I don´t even care
And I don´t tell no fibs.
He´s got something better now.
For our kisses we get Nibs.

But my sister likes the fire.
He can turn it on for us.
And even the little babies
Can blow it out without a fuss.

And then we laugh when it blows out
He makes sure it doesn´t hurt.
It´s amazing what fun there is
In the pocket of his shirt.

But that´s not all there´s one more thing
He rubs it on our lips quick.
He calls it his chapstick,
But we call it our lipstick.

Some grandpa´s give kids money
And tell them not to drop it.
But ours gives hugs and kisses
And surprises from his pocket.