Sunday, January 31, 2010

Trying to keep warm, inside and out.

The holidays sped by. We're now in the depths of the cold season, the Ottawa version thereof. Spending time indoors, I began January with a series of modest meals made from this and that in my fridge and cupboard. The soup I made one day had vegetables, potatoes, sweet potato, chicken broth, lentils, and chick peas. It was delicious, and I ate it over several lunches.

My attention, like many people's, has been drawn for a couple of weeks now to the tragedy in Haiti. Everyone I know has donated what they could to help support rescue and relief efforts. First I was stunned by the news - by the stories of deaths and injuries and unknown numbers of people trapped in crumbled buildings. Then thinking, what can I do? Then hearing how aid was being organized. Then stories of frustrated aid organizers unable to deliver aid because of ports and airports and roads jammed, and blocked by damaged structures. Aargh.

Reporters used words like "helpless" and "waiting for help" to describe the people in Port-au-Prince. But the images on TV showed men working all day in the heat, moving rubble, to try to reach survivors; women watching the children; people carrying the injured looking for medical care; makeshift shelters going up. People singing to raise the children's spirits. I'm sure people felt shock and despair, but they also got to work right away doing what they could.

Meanwhile, I wrapped up the month of eating "things I've had a long time in my cupboards." Number 1 to go: nutritional yeast. I almost forgot what to do with it. Nutritional yeast is a flaky substance like mashed potato flakes that is supposed to be good for you, and makes a vegan "cheese" sauce if you mix it with water, garlic, and margarine. I learned that in the 80s. I'm no vegan, so I made a sauce with milk and butter. Tasty! I made three meals with it on pasta.

Number 2: felafel mix. I love felafel but I never make it anymore. It seems a bit fatty since it only tastes good if it's fried in enough oil. Well, I made some felafel in a patty shape, and put it on a bagel with lettuce and hot sauce. Mmmm.

Number 3: currants. I had purchased currants for a recipe years ago (it seems). I had some left in my fridge all this time. I used to sprinkle some in a curry type dish now and then. But I always forget about them when I make something that would be augmented by currants. Finally I used the last of the currants tonight in a rice and canned tuna pilaf. Mmmm.

Number 4: blanched almonds. These were not that old, bought them last summer. I toasted them in the oven and then tossed some on just about everything I ate for a few days including breakfast cereal.

Now, if I can only remember to use that package of dip mix next time I want to serve people veggies and dip.





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This Moment by Eavan Boland

A neighbourhood.
At dusk.

Things are getting ready
to happen
out of sight.

Stars and moths.
And rinds slanting around fruit.

But not yet.

One tree is black.
One window is yellow as butter.

A woman leans down to catch a child
who has run into her arms
this moment.

Stars rise.
Moths flutter.
Apples sweeten in the dark.