Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Sonja on injury list 4 weeks running

Recently I've had a number of injuries playing indoor soccer with my pals in the Shin Kickers. Normally I enjoy soccer, both outdoor in the summer and indoor in the winter. Indoor is almost more fun because you're allowed to bounce the ball off the walls, so there are many possible ways to shoot it. My pals in the Shin Kickers have been playing well, though we tend to lose what with all the former university soccer players that seem to populate our opponent teams....
I've been trying really hard to help us win lately. I run really hard to get to the ball first; I stick my foot way out there to try to get control of it first; I turn around quickly when the ball bounces off the wall and ends up in a completely different part of the gym. Sadly all this girating and stretching has led to one new injury EVERY week these past four weeks.
First I fell flat on my butt (trying to reach the ball first I forgot the laws of gravity). That hurt my tailbone for a couple of weeks. Then I played nets the next week and had to protect my still sore back while gingerly bending over or to the side to grab the balls that were shot towards me. I didn't let in a single shot! I didn't injure myself that week but the movement made my backside sore all over again.
The next week I fell again, a little less hard, but still unfortunate. Last week a player kicked above my ankle and left a bruise that still hurts. Yesterday I sprained my wrist when someone shot the ball at my hand (unintentionally I'm sure) and the impact bent my hand back rather forcefully.
All that to say, I'm glad the season is almost over! But I'm sure once all these little sore spots heal I will miss it until summer soccer starts again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

MANIACS GAME by M. Cooper

The ball swerves into the goal,
I run to celebrate.
The passion of the game,
Maybe it isn't too late.
Holding on to hope,
The fans support you all through.
The scoreline, it seems,
Is completely against you.
You realize you have to go on,
Teammates urge you on.
A renewed trust, a breath of life,
The moment isn't gone.
And when the second one goes in,
You feel a surge of energy,
What you'd been waiting for,
Soccer is a maniacs game.