Wednesday, July 07, 2010

Hot Ottawa - Cool Museums


Ottawa's having a heat wave. I happen to be on vacation and I'm struggling to find things to do that don't involve fainting.

One day I went for a bike ride with Greg and friends and we got hot. Naturally we stopped for an ice cream along the way, and jumped in friend's backyard pool after. I got a bit too much sun too.

Another day I went to the Jazz Festival (Richard Bona was a highlight). While waiting for the sun to go down I kept a shawl on my shoulders.

Greg and I went to the Museum of Nature where it was cool, if crowded, inside. It's nicely redone and has a bright new atrium. You won't be surprised to hear I especially liked the live things (insects, frogs).

Yesterday we went to the National Gallery where we ogled the thought-provoking Pop Art display. Some artists I'd never heard of and were quite interesting. Why do I like Damien Hirst's gold-plated steel display case with cubic zirconium crystals? Am I all bling? I don't like his foal encased in glass with formaldehyde...

In between we're staying home, reading, doing chores, watching World Cup soccer. All in all, a good week off work.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How to Change a Frog Into a Prince
Anna Denise
Start with the underwear. Sit him down.
Hopping on one leg may stir unpleasant memories.
If he gets his tights on, even backwards, praise him.
Fingers, formerly webbed, struggle over buttons.
Arms and legs, lengthened out of proportion, wait,
as you do, for the rest of him to catch up.
This body, so recently reformed, reclaimed,
still carries the marks of its time as a frog. Be gentle.
Avoid the words awkward and gawky.
Do not use tadpole as a term of endearment.
His body, like his clothing, may seem one size too big.
Relax. There's time enough for crowns. He'll grow into it.